Saturday 22 September 2012

Pumpkin Season

This evening I am cooking butternut squash and sweet potato soup for our friends. 
And, the other day, we found an amazing butternut squash oil that tastes like something else altogether. 
We passed Cornell's apple research labs the other day and I spotted these giant pumpkins gleaming in the sunshine.



Outside on the deck a baby cardinal has found our stash of nuts and seeds that the chipmunks consider their own, and, at feeding times, the three blue jays come down and bounce around as they are chased off by the chipmunks. 
Nicholas



And just before they arrived...this little guy showed up again...and again...and again...

Hummingbirds are an absolute delight to watch, so tiny and beautifully formed. We know we will have garden with red now...red being their favourite colour...can't imagine not creating a garden that attracts them.

As the nights grow cooler, the birds are visiting us more often, needing fuel and sustenance....what a joy to be able to provide them with nectar and suet and seed. What a privilege to observe them each day.

For me, this has been a season of nesting....new pillows and duvets, a few new dishes and chargers in autumnal colours...I recognize that I truly love creating warm and inviting places for friends and family to gather around a table, with candles and conversation, good wine and good food....it truly takes little else to bring me joy...twinkle lights for the balcony will be next on my ambience-creating list...as the night draws in earlier and earlier, they will be a wonderful twinkling presence in the wisteria and in our life here at the cottage. I guess I am missing the fireflies...

Judy


No comments:

Post a Comment