Saturday 8 September 2012

Bald Eagle

Today, walking on the treadmill at the Island Health Club, I spotted two swans flying south over Cayuga Inlet; and then, within a minute or so, a bald eagle flew North. It paused a while, mid flight, turned around and then resumed its flight across the lake.
This evening, driving home with Judy from the Finger Lakes School we saw an overhead power line, strewn with hundreds of starlings. They were all facing West...
Today, a tornado touched down not far from New York City and the whole north east was on tornado condition 5. 
I was hoping for a bigger storm this afternoon, but then the rain came down for an hour or two and that was that.
I feel a growing love for this country of extremes... it feels, to me, so far from the intimacy of the English countryside, so far from the small distances of that small island, just off the coast of Europe.
Arriving home, I watched a blue jay pecking at the suet feeder on our deck. It pounced upon the suet as if it was an unlikely gift.
Our evenings are drawing in and the light is becoming softer.



Nicholas

I worked at the Finger Lakes School of Massage all day today, walking through the front door at 8:00 and departing at 5:00. Many of the present faculty and administration are former graduates, so the curriculum and the nature of the study are familiar to them on numbers of levels.

My massage training was in NY city, in a very different environment. It was an excellent education, one that, absolutely, changed the trajectory of my life...but it was really different at its core.

Here, the community of teachers and administrators work diligently to create a living picture of their mission statement. It is rare. It is unique. I am blessed.


Even as we approach the first days of autumn, I feel like these lingering green leaves of late summer, all hope, gentle illumination and a deep sense of peace...

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment