Monday 17 September 2012

First of the Reds

Judy and I walked in Cornell's arboretum yesterday evening in glorious sunshine. Early autumnal changes were everywhere and it was a fabulous moment for us at the end of the day.


We are fortunate to be only fifteen minutes drive away from such a place... and it reminds me yet again why Ithaca is such a great location to live. 
We have three young blue jays competing with two chipmunks for food on our deck... so I've strategically placed three piles of seed out so they don't squabble too much. This morning I walked out on the deck to see a fearless chipmunk, cheeks full of seed, just staring right at me without running away. Well, I guess they are stocking up for winter.
I suspect the hummingbird has moved south already as I haven't seen it for a day or two.
Nicholas


And after that beautiful walk along pathways through early autumnal foliage...

This was the sky above Cayuga Lake as we drove north along the road back to our cottage. 

The spectacular diffusion of colour in cloud was so incredible we pulled off the busier road and parked alongside a church. Two men were in the parking lot and as they saw Nicholas get out of our car with his camera, they turned to see what he was focusing on.

Their conversation ceased as they, too, marvelled at the extraordinary moment. And it was...only a moment.

It reminded me that so often I plough through my life with tasks and to-dos, so focused on what is ahead, on what needs to be accomplished..it made me wonder if, maybe, I, too, might be looking in the opposite direction of the gift, the opposite direction of the inspiration, my mind chattering away endlessly...

To stay focused on the transitory, whispered, moments of inspiration...this is my heart's desire. For in this is the silence of Creation.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment