Wednesday 19 September 2012

Autumn progresses

Judy and I visited Robert H Treman State park yesterday, and walked by the spectacular gorges and, admittedly scant, waterfalls. I can't wait to see them in winter.


Leaf fall is beginning, everywhere and this afternoon, with a big weather front coming up to the North East, the pond was strewn with blown leaves. There is a tornado watch out for parts of Eastern New York State!
Nicholas

The leaves falling create opportunity for reflecting on change.
And, as I tell my students, "Change is the only constant in life..."


Here, the autumn leaves in the pure water flowing through the gorge at Robert Treman State Park, have snagged on a large stone. Illuminated by the sun, and holding fast in the gentle current, they gave me an opportunity to experience a visual metaphor of transition. 

The small, bright green leaf, alongside the yellow and russet, younger and older leaves if you will, are all momentarily held in time and space. 

So, too, am I. 

As I take steps forward in this new life, I am aware that the young parts of myself, the memories...are dancing with the older, the dreams...the energy and enthusiasm of the younger... and the wisdom and patience of the older... are joined together in this moment as the inevitable gift of change takes form and opens my spirit to a new season.
Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment