Wednesday 12 September 2012

Bright sunshine

Today, we were woken at just before 6 am by a strange tapping sound at the screen outside the bedroom. I got up to look around and saw nothing, save for the last of the crescent moon lingering in the early dawn sky.
A few minutes later it started again and, again, I could find no source... and then we realised that it must have been a mouse trying to get in to the house, away from the cooler night air.
The sun rose casting its golden light broadly through the pines, and later, the pond was flooded with light. In the afternoon we watched four or five orange coloured dragonflies flit and zoom around and a very large bee came by and spend ages, harvesting pollen from the oregano flowers on the deck.


These small observations of nature encapsulate this time for me... as moment by moment, the day unfolds.
Nicholas

Along with the bees and dragonflies are a host of birds visiting us, feasting on suet and nuts and seeds, as the days grow shorter.

A family of blue jays live not far from us, here is one of the handsome young males from one of their broods....
I am reminded each day of the uniqueness of creation, that which I am privileged to observe and that of my own life, which I am privileged to live.

The blue of this bird's feathers, the dark black of his crest, his eye, his bill, the lovely white and blue patches nearer his tail and the soft, last remnants of fluffy down on his belly, all remind me that there is an elegance in every living being, a gift in observing each moment.

This is a place filled with such opportunities and it is my hope to ever deepen my own sense of wonder at it all.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment