Monday 7 May 2012

Wisteria...

Our wisteria is just about to blossom...




And, today, I am intending to pack up the studio on our top floor; a process that will involve sorting out tubes of paint that will be tucked away for over a year until they are sent to the US. 
The great thing about oil paint tubes is that if they are sealed correctly they can last for years and, indeed, the oldest tube of paint is one I acquired in a sale in 1976... a tube of vermilion that is just as good today as it was then.
And, having said goodbye to my Bonsai tree that I had grown from a seedling garnered in 1976 I am acutely aware of the span of years since then... a lifetime of professional practice and creative accomplishments that are now, poised for re-invention.


Nicholas




Yesterday was a day I will remember for a very long time.


3 generations of Sycamore family descendants were gathered in our home, enjoying one another's company...it was incredible for me, a non-Sycamore, to see the reunion of 2 sisters and a brother, the son and daughter of one, and the two daughters of that daughter...add to that the extended family of wives and husbands and, well...you get the picture.


I know it is wise to not hold too many expectations, in general I think that is a very good approach to most of life, but I held them about yesterday and yesterday exceeded all I could have dreamt.


Anna, our youngest niece, created this image and it sums it up for me...




She took an image of hands and turned it into a kaleidoscope of light and form, they dance in the way yesterday danced...


For me, everything yesterday was about hands in a lot of ways....taking the original picture for this montage, playing piano, laying a table, creating meals, arranging flowers, the gestures that accompany story-telling, sneaking a taste of chantilly cream, excited initial "hellos" at the front door and gentle, lingering, farewell hugs at the end of the day. Each one filled with encouragement and love for us at this moment in our lives, each one given uniquely according to the giver. 


Judy





No comments:

Post a Comment