Tuesday 8 May 2012

French Lavender...

Amongst the chaos of packing in the studio yesterday, I have taken one last smell of my bottle of Oil of Spike Lavender, a ridiculously expensive turpentine alternative that smells gloriously of lavender. With certain paintings the smell of lavender would permeate the studio and the house lending a Provencale air to the place. But I can't take it to the USA under shipping rules so will have to give it to a neighbour who is an artist.


It is strange to see the clutter of my painting studio reduced to so many ordered boxes of paints and brushes: it is so much part of the process to be surrounded by tumbled tubes of paint and bottles of solvent. But I will look forward to next year when they will arrive in the USA and rediscovering them will be a joy.




Up in the hills not far from us, there is a superb collection of Rhododendrons and, with luck, we will be able to visit it once more before we leave.


Nicholas

Last year my sister gave me books about gardening in New York State as well as two books all about plants that deer don't like to consume...all of these will be coming with me on the ship, as planning the new garden and landscaping will go hand-in-hand with building the new house.


I suppose living in a 3rd floor walk-up apartment in Manhattan for 20 years contributed to the passion I now feel about flower and vegetable gardening, a making up for lost time digging in the earth, or something.




This is the front of our house in Dorking, I am joyous in knowing that the climbing iceberg rose that is trailing along our fence grows quite happily in NY state...it will be a favourite nibble for deer, so creative solutions will need to be considered...hmmm...dogs are nice deterrents! Yes, I am thinking about it again, a lot, but not until we are settled in the new house.


Still, the thought of creating a new garden and loving it (and a new puppy) are making me very happy this morning!


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment