Sunday 13 May 2012

Perspective...

This morning, Judy and I visited the Rhododendron plantation below Leith Hill and then climbed up from Windy Gap to the summit. The views were incredible as we looked out over the countryside, stretching as far as the eye could see in perfect sunshine. 
Sounds echoed up from the fields, and, every now and then a peal of church bells sounded in the distance.




Now, we are embarking on a big clearance of clothes; sorting out the needed from the not... almost exactly four weeks to go before we board the ship and we need to know what we will be taking on board with us and, also, what might last for the best part of a year!
We've experienced this quintessential English spring morning as a quiet sort of leaving gift...


Nicholas




In June of 2002, both sets of parents visited some of our favourite places in Scotland with us. It was a wonderful 2-week trip and I am so grateful to have had the magical experience with them. 


I remember the moment we saw this beautiful setting by the sea, the stone wall, the red poppies, the lavender geraniums and the yellow iris, softening the dark grey of the rocks, adding beauty to a landscape that at times seemed desolate.


But more than the gentle invitation to rest provided by the bright swatches of living colour, I remember thinking that this cottage seemed such a welcoming sight in the midst of the barren land we had just driven through. 


Home is like that, isn't it? A place of safety and security and warmth. On Mother's Day I want to say thanks to my Mom for creating a space where I could explore the natural world, as well as my internal world, so freely. Thanks for sustaining me when the world outside of Seymour Street seemed less than hospitable and for reminding me, always, that the love you and Daddy have for me is constant.


Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment