Tuesday 21 August 2012

A walk by the lake...

This afternoon, after I picked Judy up from the Finger Lakes School, we walked along the newly established Lake Cayuga trail to Stewart Park. At first the trail was uninteresting, although we saw a woodchuck scuttling about in the bushes, but then we crossed over two suspension bridges and were in the park itself. A splendid breeze came down from the north and there were hundreds of seagulls and geese scattered about.
I spotted a group of cormorants sitting patiently on a stranded branch of a tree...


Today I have obtained my New York State permit to drive... and next week or so I will do the five hour  instruction course before taking my driving test. 
One more piece of the puzzle about becoming fully established here.
Its cooler now and we can sleep easier at night without the fans going non stop: the crickets create a backdrop of sound that is fabulous.
Nicholas

I feel like a whirlwind has lifted my life from its once relatively predictable day-to-day occurrences and plunged my into some sort of limbo-like place. 

New country, new housing, new home, new car, new friends, new job...well...you get the picture. And, just as this was beginning to really get to me (that and the jet lag) the other day, this truck pulled into the grocery store parking lot, right in front of us.

A bumper crop of epithets to remind of much, the expressive, expansive nature of the American people I love. The humour and wisdom that come, in just a few well-chosen words adhered to the back of a pick-up truck, sometimes is enough to get me through a bumpy day.

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" 

So, thanks to this lovely Floridian, now resident somewhere near our cottage, I am encouraged to keep my mind open and my spirit unleashed.

Judy 

No comments:

Post a Comment