Sunday 22 April 2012

Leaving Iona


We’re off back to England tomorrow, catching the 9am ferry from Iona. Fourteen years ago Judy and I had to say the first of 24 goodbyes when we said farewell to each other at Craignure on Mull on the 10th June 1998. We had no idea what the future would bring and all we had then was trust and faith.

Today, we outlined a synopsis of all that has happened in our lives since then and, two hours later, having typed nine pages of annotated memories we were exhausted and amazed at all that has evolved. It was as if we had jumped in the deep end and kept on swimming…

It will be strange to leave this place, to embark on the southerly journey once more and we will leave behind a clutch of memories and recollections that will light us on our way.


Nicholas

Over dinner tonight Nicholas and I were talking about the incredible nature of the journey we have been on. One thing in particular stands out in my mind as I recall our conversation…we spoke of the highs and the lows, the glorious light and the unspeakable darkness we experienced, both as individuals and as a couple in the process of coming together, of trusting, of releasing.

It is so easy to create a picture of it being always joyful and beautiful, but as we paused to truly reflect in the Abbey earlier tonight, we gave thanks for the courage to withstand the stormy times and sail the rough waters.

I suppose I want to present a face that reveals only the positive, the encouraging, the optimistic…but, in reality there have been more than a few moments of doubt and “what on earth are you doing?” going through my head these past years. And, if I know anything at all, it is that it is important to sit with oneself in such moments of despair or searching or fearfulness. For one of the great truths I have learned is this…the only constancy is change…

Iona taught me this again…here is a photo of last night…



And here was the sky this morning…


Change is exquisite…I need only be patient, it always happens.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment