Monday 1 October 2012

Dignity


I took this photograph at the Phoenician hotel in Phoenix, Arizona, in the early spring of 2008. Depicting a Native American with her child it is a haunting sculpture...
I remember being struck by the spirit of place in those vast desert lands that the Hopi and Navajo made their own. 
My journeys in the West and South West have resonated on so many levels... so I am looking forward to producing a book of black and white photographs that attempt to capture some of those mysteries.
Nicholas


Here is one of my favourite images from our trips to the western United States.

Throughout Sedona were mini altars like these, cairns...and this one, on the weathered stone, with a dried branch alongside, became an exquisite altar, a reminder to stop, to give thanks, to reflect.

Our home in England was filled with stones and shells and sticks we have gathered on our journeys. In creating our new home here in America, I feel the need to create more opportunities for this type of reflection and devotion, prompted by elements from the natural world, like this one, elegant and simple, yet filled with metaphor and beauty.

My whole spirit feels renewed and and peace when I see this...and that is a big motivator for me.

Judy

No comments:

Post a Comment